Re: pg_dump sort order for functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: pg_dump sort order for functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On tis, 2010-01-12 at 16:35 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Um, that tag is the "name", and if you change that, the name in CREATE
> FUNCTION also changes.  I was initially thinking in that direction, but
> it seems it won't be feasible without significant refactoring.
>
> In the mean time, hacking it into the sort function itself as a special
> case works out fine, per attached patch.  One might frown upon such an
> exception, but then again, function overloading is an exception to the
> one-name-per-object rule all over the place anyway. ;-)

Since we ran out of time/ideas on this, I would propose just committing
the part that breaks ties based on the number of arguments, which
already solves a large part of the problem (at least in a pre-default
values world) and would very likely be a part of any possible future
utterly complete solution.