Re: Changing the name - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Subject Re: Changing the name
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 15:00 +0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> I think it would be a great time to change the name of the
> project back to "Postgres", and relegate "PostgreSQL" to
> an official and eternal yet discouraged alias.

Will PostgreSQL be more "popular", or say, will double its users when we
change our name to Postgres? Will we have more reviewers? etc, etc.

...and Postgres has zero meaning to me. It may be meaningful to the
people who developed/used it between 1886 and 1994, or to the people who
are reading history.html in the docs. As written before, our superuser
name, server process name and empty database name is already postgres,
and it is enough.

As Joshua pointed out yesterday, Postgres is being heavily used by
EnterpriseDB, which I find dangerous to use in the open-source project
just because of that. It is like suggesting to use Mammoth instead of
PostgreSQL.

... hey, is your real intention is to use planetpostgres.org instead of
planetpostgresql.org ? :-) (kidding)

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com