Re: An example of bugs for Hot Standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: An example of bugs for Hot Standby
Date
Re: An example of bugs for Hot Standby  (Hiroyuki Yamada <yamada@kokolink.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 20:11 +0900, Hiroyuki Yamada wrote:
> Hot Standby node can freeze when startup process calls LockBufferForCleanup().
> This bug can be reproduced by the following procedure.
>
> 0. start Hot Standby, with one active node(node A) and one standby node(node B)
> 1. create table X and table Y in node A
> 2. insert several rows in table X in node A
> 3. delete one row from table X in node A
> 4. begin xact 1 in node A, execute following commands, and leave xact 1 open
> 4.1 LOCK table Y IN ACCESS EXCLUSIVE MODE
> 5. wait until WAL's for above actions are applied in node B
> 6. begin xact 2 in node B, and execute following commands
> 6.1 DECLARE CURSOR test_cursor FOR SELECT * FROM table X;
> 6.2 FETCH test_cursor;
> 6.3 SELECT * FROM table Y;
> 7. execute VACUUM FREEZE table A in node A
> 8. commit xact 1 in node A
>
> ...then in node B occurs following "deadlock" situation, which is not detected by deadlock check.
>  * startup process waits for xact 2 to release buffers in table X (in LockBufferForCleanup())
>  * xact 2 waits for startup process to release ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock in table Y

Deadlock bug was prevented by stop-gap measure in December commit.

Full resolution patch attached for Startup process waits on buffer pins.

Startup process sets SIGALRM when waiting on a buffer pin. If woken by
alarm we send SIGUSR1 to all backends requesting that they check to see
if they are blocking Startup process. If so, they throw ERROR/FATAL as
for other conflict resolutions. Deadlock stop gap removed.
max_standby_delay = -1 option removed to prevent deadlock.

Reviews welcome, otherwise commit at end of week.

Attachment