Re: RFC: PostgreSQL Add-On Network - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: RFC: PostgreSQL Add-On Network
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 20:36 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 8:07 PM, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
> > Hackers,
> >
> > I've posted a [plan] to implement PGAN][], a CPAN for PostgreSQL extensions. I've tried to closely follow the [CPAN
philosophy][]to come up with a plan that requires a minimum-work implementation that builds on the existing PostgreSQL
toolsand the examples of the [CPAN][] and [JSAN][]. My hope is that it's full of [JFDI][]! I would be very grateful for
feedbackand suggestions.

> Whilst the aim is a noble one, glossing over 'it won't work on
> Windows' which is by far our most popular platform these days

Although I understand your point, this is debatable to the point of a
pointless point :P. The reason it seems like the most popular is that
the only way to get the windows version is to download it from .Org/EDB.
Linux/FreeBSD already has it in their own repositories.

I do believe that we need to support windows, but not everything will.
That is just the nature of it.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.