Re: pgFoundry Download URLs - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date
List pgsql-www
On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 18:43 +0000, Dave Page wrote:

> > .Org has NEVER made Gborg or PgFoundry a priority. Migration to
> > FusionForge will not change that because Migration is the easiest of the
> > problems to solve.
>
> At the risk of pissing off some people, .org did put effort into
> maintaining GBorg - it worked very well and was supported by it's
> original author and others who chipped in from time to time as needed.
> It did not put effort into maintaining pgFoundry, largely because it
> was setup outside of the normal .org processes and infrastructure
> management (consider for example, the fact that it's pgfoundry.org,
> and not part of postgresql.org like all the other services we
> maintain).

To be fair to all involved, my recollection is going to be during the
time when both were in service (which was a couple of years) and then
the subsequent migration and after effects.

> I'll also note that it's extremely easy to say that migration isn't an
> issue when you host most/all of your projects elsewhere, and won't be
> migrating anyone else's projects.

My point is not that migration is easy, it is that it is the smallest
part of the problem.

> Oh, and to end on a positive note - Happy New Year folks :-)

And to you!

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.