Re: Port for Microsoft Services for Unix (SFU) or SUA - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Rovero
Subject Re: Port for Microsoft Services for Unix (SFU) or SUA
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 12:42 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> 2009/12/28 Josh Rovero <rovero@sonalysts.com>:
> > Has anyone built postgresql (or just libpq.a) on Windows SFU/SUA?
> > Would prefer to not reinvent any wheels....
>
> Not that I know of.
>
> Can't you use the native win32 libpq.dll? IIRC I read somewhere that
> it's possible, at least in fairly recent versions, to call regular
> Win32 DLLs from an interix process. (But I can't recall where I read
> that...)

The older XP SFU 3.5 applications can't call Win32 dlls directly,
since the SFU and Win32 are segregated personalities atop
the kernel.  The newer SUA (for Vista, Windows 7, etc.) allegedly
allows calls to regular Windows APIs.  Our current customer
that uses Windows clients doesn't want to switch from XP to
newer Microsoft OSes just yet..

Thanks,

--
P.J. "Josh" Rovero            Vice President     Sonalysts, Inc.
Email:  rovero@sonalysts.com  www.sonalysts.com  215 Parkway North