Re: alpha3 release schedule? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: alpha3 release schedule?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 11:41 +0000, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > If you are saying being able to start Hot Standby from a shutdown
> > checkpoint is an important feature for you, then say so, and why.
>
> Can you explain the consequences of missing this? It sounds to me like
> if I lose my master and it happened to be while it was shut down for
> whatever reason then I'll be stuck and won't be able to use my
> standby. If that's true it seems like it's a major problem. Or does it
> just mean I would have to follow a different procedure when failing
> over?

Failover isn't prevented in this case.

If we were going to spend time on anything it would be to make failover
and switchback easier so that people aren't afraid of it. I've spent a
few weeks trying to remove the shutdown checkpoint, but no luck so far.

Switchback optimization is probably something for next release now,
unless you're looking for a project?