Re: alpha3 release schedule? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: alpha3 release schedule?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 18:42 +0900, Hiroyuki Yamada wrote:

> Do you think this problem is must-fix for the final release ?

We should be clear that this is a behaviour I told you about, not a
shock discovery by yourself. There is no permanent freeze, just a wait,
from which the Startup process wakes up at the appropriate time. There
is no crash or hang as is usually implied by the word freeze.

It remains to be seen whether this is a priority for usability
enhancement in this release. There are other issues as well and it is
doubtful that every user will be fully happy with the functionality in
this release. I will work on things in the order in which I understand
them to be important for the majority, given my time and budget
constraints and the resolvability of the issues.

When you report bugs, I say thanks. When you start agitating about
already-documented restrictions and I see which other software you
promote, I think you may have other motives. Regrettably that reduces
the weight I give your claims, in relation to other potential users.

If you genuinely care about this topic then I hope and expect that you
would start thinking about improvements, or even writing some.

I am already in touch with many potential users and will be engaging
more widely to understand users's reactions from the Alpha release.