Re: garbage in psql -l - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: garbage in psql -l
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On tis, 2009-11-24 at 14:19 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I wonder whether the most prudent solution wouldn't be to prevent
> default use of linestyle=unicode if ~/.psqlrc hasn't been read.

More generally, it would probably be safer if we used linestyle=unicode
only if the client encoding has been set on the client by some explicit
action, that is, either via PGCLIENTENCODING or an \encoding statement,
but *not* when it is just defaulted from the server encoding.  Can we
easily detect this difference?