Re: pkglibdir versus libdir? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pkglibdir versus libdir?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane writes:
>> Peter, I'm a little confused about the difference between the libdir and
>> pkglibdir settings created by configure.  What's supposed to go where?

> libdir is for build-time linkable libraries, anything that you might want
> to pass as -lxxx.  So typical locations are /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, or
> /usr/local/pgsql/lib.  pkglibdir is for dynamically loadable
> libraries,

Okay, so anything meant to be loaded by the backend goes in pkglibdir?

>> I got a complaint from a Red Hat person that the regression tests failed
>> on a 64-bit machine.  Some investigation revealed that the problem was
>> that plpgsql.so got installed into $libdir while pg_regress.sh expected
>> to find it in $pkglibdir.

> Umm... from src/pl/plpgsql/src/Makefile:

Actually, further investigation revealed that there is brain damage in the
rpm patches: some places have been hacked to have hard-wired paths.
As soon as $libdir is not /usr/lib, the rpm patches roll over and die.
We mistakenly blamed this on a libdir-vs-pkglibdir discrepancy, until we
noticed what was actually getting executed ...

Thanks for the response.