Re: interface for "non-SQL people" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: interface for "non-SQL people"
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 19:16 -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The #1 tool you have at your disposal is the human brain.  I
> > personally think GUI database tools are counter productive and huge
> > time wasters.  SQL requires lateral thinking but once you have your
> > head around how joins work and the general syntax of queries you
> > should have no problem getting data out of your database.   SQL is a
> > 'man machine interface' :-).  It's a very high level language with a
> > lot of power.  The gui 'wrappers' that I've seen actually obfuscate
> > the concepts.
>
> Amen to that.  I'd rather spend a little bit of my time each week
> going over correlated subqueries with a user than trying to get good
> performance on a reporting server that's hammered by bad queries.
> Which is what a lot of query builders basically do.

Good lord people. Not be helpful much? This guy is obviously not an SQL
guy and nor should he have to be. My guess is he is an analyst sitting
in a company somewhere that just wants to whip together some simple data
entry reports or contact forms.

There is *zero* reason he should have to dig around in the confounded
tar pit of SQL. Not everyone can be an SQL guru.

To answer the question.

Open Office has a forms interface that works with PostgreSQL
You can use MS Access
You have use Kexi (KDE)

There is also one written in GTK and Python but I don't recall the
name...

JD... Who sits in bewilderment

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
If the world pushes look it in the eye and GRR. Then push back harder. - Salamander