Re: Something smells in this schema... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Something smells in this schema...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Adam Haberlach <adam@newsnipple.com> writes:
>     I had postgres start blocking all it's UPDATEs on a production
> database today, when an engineer added the following two tables,
> among other things.  We've had to restore from backup, and the
> interesting thing is that when we re-add these tables, things
> break again.

"blocking"?  Please define symptoms more precisely.

>     My first thought was the index on the boolean field in the time_cards,
> which I could have sworn has caused me problems before.  Anyone else see
> anything wrong?

Pre-7.1 versions do have problems with large numbers of equal keys in
a btree index, which is more or less the definition of an index on
boolean.  I'm dubious that such an index is of any value anyway ...