Re: Linux LSB init script - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Linux LSB init script
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On tor, 2009-09-17 at 09:26 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Well, in such cases it may be useful to add an option such as --oknodo
> > to select the idempotent behavior.
>
> It took me about 60 seconds to figure out what I thought you were
> going for there, so I submit that's not a good choice of option name.

This is the name that the start-stop-daemon program in Debian uses, but
I can see how it can be puzzling.  We don't have to use this exact
spelling.

> > Yeah, except that part of the spec is hilariously unrealistic.  And
>
> But since when do we worry about such things?  :-)

I submit to this quip, but note that there is a difference between an
implementation of a standard and an application using that standard.  I
have done a fair amount of work on the LSB init script support in Debian
over the years, and yes, there I favor going with the standard behavior
if at all possible.  But when it comes to writing an application that is
supposed to work with an LSB or SQL platform, you have to take a more
pragmatic approach.  At least that is my approach.