Re: Linux LSB init script - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Linux LSB init script
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On mån, 2009-08-31 at 12:07 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Is the LSB standard sufficiently widely adopted to omit the older
> format?  I was concerned that there might be Linux versions we wanted
> to support which wouldn't have a /lib/lsb/init-functions file to
> source.  If that's not an issue, I could submit this as a patch to the
> existing file.  (It'd be a - for almost every non-blank line in the
> old, and a + for almost every non-blank line in the new, of course.)

While the major distributions support LSB, the major distributions also
have PostgreSQL packages available and so will likely not need the init
script shipped in the source.  It will most likely be useful for various
do-it-yourself setups on fringe distributions.  So I don't know; it
might be best to keep both, if they are maintained.