Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On tor, 2009-08-20 at 23:21 +1000, Rob Napier wrote:
> Public Relations 101:

On that matter, I recommend reading and viewing the videos here:

http://www.buzzmachine.com/2009/05/30/advertising-as-failure/

"[T]he ideal relationship a company should have with its customer is
that it produces a great product the customer loves and talks about and
thus sells; there is no need for advertising there. It’s only in the
case of failing at that idea that one needs to advertise."

This doesn't necessarily mean that we should shut down -advocacy and put
everyone to code.  But it does support that we should put resources into
making user support and the user feedback loop more efficient rather
than wondering about the layout of brochures and tipping of the right
analysts.