Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 14:37 +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Rob Napier<rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
> > Anyway, I think I have said enough on the topic. This started as a
> > discussion about getting timely media releases prepared. Selena suggested
> > that it could be done by volunteers. I don’t think it can. But if there are
> > people who want to try, I wish them luck. As I wrote earlier. It is bloody
> > hard work! It’s not simply a matter of writing a story and expecting
> > journalists to run it.
>
> No, at least according to gmail's threading this conversation started
> with yet another ill-informed Forrester report and Josh saying that
> the reason it was ill-informed was because he didn't have time to get
> back to them.

You also have to remember that both Ingres and MySQL are companies. They
will always tend to show higher numbers than we do, as long as they
exist. It is just like the fabled, "Linux only has 2% marketshare"
because they can't track all the downloads.

I think we should ignore reports like this and focus on getting the word
out as a whole. The more users we have the more organic our growth. In
the end, it will all work out.

Let's focus on the project shall we?

Joshua D. Drake

--