Re: Vote on Windows installer links - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date
Re: Vote on Windows installer links
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 07:49 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On Thursday 09 July 2009 6:34:18 am Simon Riggs wrote:
>

> > Are we really in a position where we are forced to accept advertising
> > from a company because they run what we consider to be a critical part
> > of the project? Is that the only alternative?
> >
> > So you are confirming that EDB has said that it will pull the installers
> > if we remove the link?
> >
> > I think there is likely to be a reasonable alternative, if we seek it.
> > If you do not wish to seek it personally, then we should arrange for
> > somebody else to enquire after the options and find a solution.
> >

> I am failing to see the issue here. There is a need for an installer, it was not
> being met, so EDB stepped up and fulfilled the need.

There was an installer and it was quietly discontinued. If EDB stepped
up, many people were unaware of it. Most people thought that Dave was
working on the installers on behalf of the project, as he used to do,
and were unaware that advertising deals had been agreed to as conditions
of further work.

I have no particular objection to the existence of an installer and
haven't asked for it to be discontinued. There is a strong majority in
favour of removing the link to an external website, which doesn't seem
to be too big a deal to me. Why does that imply that a whole new
installer needs to be written?

I'll assume you're voting -1.