Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 22:06 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 13:35 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Now, we'd *like* a community survey to replace the EDB Survey, and can
> > maybe have one by August.
> >
> > Does anyone have any objections to posting the EDB survey to News etc.
> > for July?  I'd like to have something up when 8.4 is releases, just
> > because we'll have more traffic.
>
> I think you already received an answer to that question from multiple
> people. Asking for objections twice before they are accepted seems
> wrong, as would asking three or more times also.

I have been thinking about this thread quite a bit and I have come to
the conclusion that I don't like the idea of an EDB survey being
announced and publicized through .Org. It isn't news, it isn't an event,
it is not an announcement of a new Postgresql derived product. It is
purely a way to drive eyes to EDB and away from PostgreSQL.

Remember that in business *all* public communications are marketing.
This survey only benefits PostgreSQL in that it benefits EDB. Now there
is nothing wrong with that as long as the resources being used are EDBs,
not PostgreSQL's.

-1 From me.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake