Re: [BUGS] BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 12:15 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Yeah, I think you're right. If you omit pg_xlog from the base backup,
> as we recommend in the manual, and clear the old files from the
> archive too, then you won't have the old history file around.

Sorry about this, but I don't agree with that fix and think it needs
more discussion, at very least. (I'm also not sure why this fix needs to
applied with such haste, even taking priority over other unapplied
patches.)

The error seems to come from deleting the history file from the archive,
rather than from the sequence of actions.

A more useful thing might be to do an xlog switch before we do the
shutdown checkpoint at end of recovery. That gives the same sequence of
actions without modifying the existing sequence of activities for
backups, which is delicate enough for me to not want to touch it.