Re: I don't want to back up index files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: I don't want to back up index files
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 12:59 -0700, Glen Parker wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Glen Parker <glenebob@nwlink.com> writes:
> >> We have yet to recover from a PG disaster.  We back up every night, and
> >> never use the back ups for anything.  To me, it seems perfectly
> >> reasonable to get a quicker back up every night, with the remote
> >> possibility of ever having to pay the price for it.
> >
> > Why don't you just switch to a less frequent full-backup schedule?
>

> Paranoia.  Others in the organization have pushed to keep up with the
> nightly back ups, so that decision is mostly out of my hands.

Why not just take a backup of the pitr slave instead? If you need to do
it nightly, shut down the standby process, tar, start standby process.
You never have to  bother the master at all.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org