Re: I don't want to back up index files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: I don't want to back up index files
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 18:54 -0700, Glen Parker wrote:
> I am wondering the feasibility of having PG continue to work even if
> non-essential indexes are gone or corrupt.  I brought this basic concept
> up at some point in the past, but now I have a different motivation, so
> I want to strike up discussion about it again.  This time around, I
> simply don't want to back up indexes if I don't have to.  Because
> indexes contain essentially redundant data, losing one does not equate
> to losing real data.  Therefore, backing them up represents a lot of
> overhead for very little benefit.

Hello,

I am sorry but this seems very silly. If you don't want to back up
indexes use pg_dump.

> Any chance of something like this being done in the future?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say, "no".

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/