Re: ResultSetMetaData.getColumnDisplaySize returns 2147483647 ? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: ResultSetMetaData.getColumnDisplaySize returns 2147483647 ?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 09:41 -0800, DGPickett wrote:

> Somehow, doing what the real money RDBMS do, the de-facto standard,

Could you describe, what do they do, especially for cases of really
unknown sizes ?

One solution would be to fetch all data into a buffer and actually
measure the longest field size.

> is
> hard for postgres dudes, or they have more important concerns.  It
> makes the product seem shabby by comparison.  Usually, that is enough
> to motivate frantic coding, to make open source appear just as good.

You are most welcome to "code frantically" :)

PostgreSQL "dudes" in general are not in business of appearing just as
good. Rather we are trying to produce the most advanced database
available, at least for values of "most advanced" that matter to us.

--
Hannu Krosing   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability