Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf
Date
Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Are we all talking about the same thing? �In my mind recovery.conf is
>> for configuring a point-in-time archive recovery run. �It's got nothing
>> to do with either replication or standbys.

> Huh?  How else can you create a standby?  I do it by creating a
> recovery.conf file that says:
> standby_mode=on

The point I'm trying to make is that it seems like this discussion is
getting driven entirely by the standby case, without remembering that
recovery.conf was originally designed for, and is still used in,
a significantly different use-case.  Maybe we had better take two
steps back and think about the implications for the archive-recovery
case.