Re: Recovery Test Framework - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Recovery Test Framework
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 21:35 +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> >> Two things to fix this, and several other problems:
> >
> >> 1.  Remove the messages size limits on -hackers.  They serve no useful
> >> purpose, and they interfere with our development process.
> >
> > Agreed, or at least boost it up a good bit more.
>
> the question really is how much "a bit more" is - right now the limit is
>    100000 characters which limits us to ~70KB of attachments (around the
> size of the Hot-standby patch if bzip2 compressed).
>
> The SE-Postgres patch for example is ~650KB uncompressed - if we want to
>   cope with uncompressed patches that large we would have to increase
> the current limit by a factor of 10 at least.
> I wonder if there are people on the list that might not want to receive
> mails that large(like users with mobile phones)?

Smart mobile phones are not going to pull down the attachment unless the
user explicitly says, pull down attachment.

However I can say I would be fairly annoyed if everytime I checked
hackers I was pulling down 5 megs in various patches.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/  The PostgreSQL
Company,serving since 1997