Re: Renaming tables and columns to lowercase - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Renaming tables and columns to lowercase
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 17:25 -0500, Bruno Lavoie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In a migration process, I've imported a bunch of tables from an old
> Access database to PostgreSQL. The name of tables and fields on the
> source are mixed case. When copying tables to pg via ODBC, identifiers
> are copied in mixed case into pg destination db. Data is copied without
> any problem.
>
> Due to pg folding policies, I always need to quote my identifiers when
> querying data on these tables. It's something overkill in typing and time.
>
> --> Can I rename all tables and columns to lowercase, in a specified schema?

Sure. Do this :)

\o /tmp/go_to_lower
select 'ALTER TABLE '||'"'||tablename||'"'||' RENAME TO ' ||
lower(tablename)||';' from pg_tables where schemaname = 'public';
psql -U username database < /tmp/go_to_lower

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL