Re: Do we still need constraint_exclusion? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Do we still need constraint_exclusion?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >> Based on the comments below, are we sure constraint_exclusion still
> >> needs to be a parameter and can't be on by default?

> In installations whose average query is significantly heavier-weight
> than this one, and where constraint exclusion actually improves matters
> on a routine basis, it makes sense to turn it on by default.  I will
> continue to resist having it on as a factory default, because I continue
> to believe that it's 99% useless to most people.  As for removing the

I believe are correct in that it is 99% useless to most people. If it
was turned on by default, it would also not be noticed by 99% of those
people.

So why not help the 1% that it actually would?

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/  The PostgreSQL
Company,serving since 1997