Re: Need help with 8.4 Performance Testing - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Need help with 8.4 Performance Testing
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 12:57 -0700, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> > Note: HP can beat Dell, every time on an apples to apples quote. At
> > least when I have done it.
>
> Aberdeen inc, the one I listed in my previous response.

Sorry didn't see it.

>  Their on site
> price for a single quad core xeon, 8 gig 800MHZ ram and 24 15k5 SAS
> drives is $10,080 or so.  I've never had to tell them I was getting a
> better price anywhere else.  They just give me a great quote each
> time, they have very fast and efficient customer service, and they
> give a 5 year warranty on everything they custom build for you.  I'm a
> very satisfied customer.

Well that would work for CMD but CMDs customer's would say, "Who the
heck is Aberdeen?"

> Few places have made me so happy with a decision to spend $22k on
> servers as these guys have.

Well that is definitely a solid testimony. I don't have any experience
with them but I know that the smaller companies always provide better
service so I have no reason to doubt you. The larger the company gets
the harder it is to get through the muck of bureaucracy.

I have to be honest though, unless the customer explicitly states we
don't have a problem with white box, its going to be HP, DELL or IBM,
occasionally SUN but once they see how ridiculous the initial quotes
from Sun are they generally don't want to deal with them anymore.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL