Re: Data Replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Data Replication
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 17:37 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 09:14 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > I think this statement is misleading. The only thing core contains is
> > the ability to use a bunch of utilities (with the exception of
> > pg_standby) that aren't in core to provide log shipping.
>
> True, we rely on the existence of rsync, scp etc.. and go to great pains
> to provide as much choice as possible.
>
> If you think other things are required you are welcome to contribute
> them so they can be verified fault free by the community.

Well I already provided them, with pitrtools :P but my only point is
that we really do need to make sure and be clear about what we provide.
In true PostgreSQL fashion we only provide the functionality required to
build the tools we need. I am not saying this is bad or good. I just
didn't want the guy to go away thinking he could just use postgresql and
it would just magically replicate which (at least until potentially 8.4)
is not possible unless you run replicator or a bunch of hand rolled
utilities.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--