Re: 8.3.3 stability ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: 8.3.3 stability ?
Date
List pgsql-general
> "Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Gauthier, Dave
> > <dave.gauthier@intel.com> wrote:
> >> Time for an upgrade.  How stable is 8.3.3 ?
>
> > If I was deploying to production today, I'd use 8.3.3 no questions.
>
> FWIW, 8.3.4, which is due out Monday, squashes about half a dozen
> interesting bugs that are not also present in 8.2.x.  I'd venture that
> as of 8.3.4 we are about down to the point where 8.3.latest and
> 8.2.latest are of equivalent reliability.  Which is not to say that
> 8.3.x won't still have some new bugs not present in 8.2.x, but that
> I think it'll be about a wash when you consider the problems 8.3 fixes
> that are unfixable in 8.2.

Reliability is a wide topic. 8.2 reliably works as intended, though 8.3
certainly has better "intentions" as to how things *should* work. I
would say that 8.3 has fewer "unintended consequences" for the average
user and a ton of benefits:
http://www.2ndquadrant.com/download/Postgres_Performance_Update.pdf
If your definition of software reliability includes good behavioural
characteristics as well as absence of bugs, then 8.3 is a must.