Re: [HACKERS] Infrastructure changes for recovery - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Infrastructure changes for recovery
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Infrastructure changes for recovery  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches

> ISTM that it would probably be better if there were exactly one InRedo
> flag in shared memory, probably in xlog.c's shared state, with the
> postmaster not being responsible for setting or clearing it; rather
> the startup process should do those things.

Done

> > * bgwriter and stats process starts in consistent recovery mode.
> > bgwriter changes mode when startup process completes.
>
> I'm not sure about the interaction of this.  In particular, what about
> recovery restart points before we have reached the safe stop point?
> I don't think we want to give up the capability of having those.
>
> Also, it seems pretty bogus to update the in-memory ControlFile
> checkpoint values before the restart point is actually done.  It looks
> to me like what you have done is to try to use those fields as signaling
> for the restart request in addition to their existing purposes, which
> I think is confusing and probably dangerous.  I'd rather there were a
> different signaling path and ControlFile maintains its currrent
> definition.

Done

Testing takes a while on this, I probably won't complete it until
Friday. So enclosed patch is for eyeballs only at this stage.

I added in the XLogCtl padding we've discussed before, while I'm there.

Attachment