Re: Dump/Restore compatibility - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Steve T
Subject Re: Dump/Restore compatibility
List pgsql-novice
Tom,
If it works once, would I be safe in thinking that it would then always work - unless obviously any new 'feature' was then used? The databases currently use procedures, triggers, blobs and standard tables. The database is effectively an 8.0 database being moved to 8.1 with the backups being put back on an older box supporting 8.0 again. No new features are being used in 8.1 as the features being used were all present and working in 8.0.

So I current have two Fedora Core servers acting as live/backup. Both are running 8.0.
I am being coerced into using RHEL and so have got another box to act as  the  'new' live server - which leads me to also use 8.1 as the shipped offering. I didn't want to change all the boxes at the same time - as that is too much of a risk - so I simply wanted to install the new server running 8.1 and keep the same 8.0 backup until I can then convert the 'old' live server to RHEL and promote that to the backup.

Bruce Hyatt <brucejhyatt@yahoo.com> writes:
> I can't say for sure but I also can't believe that you could restore an 8.1 dump on an 8.0 database.

It might work if your 8.1 DB isn't actually using any features that
weren't present in 8.0.  But you'd have to test it.  It's not generally
a case that we worry about making work.

			regards, tom lane