Re: Mini improvement: statement_cost_limit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Mini improvement: statement_cost_limit
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 14:35 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Monday 04 August 2008 03:50:40 daveg wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 10:57:55PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> > > I still think it is worth revisiting what problems people are trying to
> > > solve, and see if there are better tools they can be given to solve them.
> > >  Barring that, I suppose a crude solution is better than nothing, though
> > > I fear people might point at the crude solution as a good enough solution
> > > to justify not working on better solutions.
> >
> > Alerting developers and QA to potentially costly queries would help solve
> > some of the probems we are trying to solve. Better tools are welcome, an
> > argument that the good is the enemy of the best so we should be content
> > with nothing is not.
> >

> And you'll note, I specifically said that a crude tool is better than nothing.
> But your completely ignoring that a crude tool can often end-up as a foot-gun
> once relased into the wild.

On the other other hand, _anything_ can end up as a foot-gun in hands of
ingenious users.

I was once told about a company, who claimed to have produced a
positively fool-proof lawn-mower, only to find out, that a university
professor had tried to use it to trim a hedge and cut off his toes.

Hannu