Re: global temporary tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: global temporary tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 11:35 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> And I don't
>> think you can even get that far, because I don't think too many people
>> here are going to say that we shouldn't add global temporary tables
>> unless we can also make them work with Hot Standby.

> The policy round here for some time has been that when we implement
> things we make them work fully and seamlessly. I don't see why Hot
> Standby would be singled out any more than any other feature, say
> Windows support or tablespaces should be occasionally ignored.

The current definition of Hot Standby is that it's a *read only*
behavior.  Not read mostly.  What you are proposing is a rather
fundamental change in the behavior of HS, and it doesn't seem to me
that it should be on the head of anybody else to make it work.

IOW: I agree with Robert that this is not an essential part of global
temp tables.  If it happens to fall out that it works like that, great,
but it isn't a requirement.