Re: Progress Report on Materialized Views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Progress Report on Materialized Views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Could I suggest that your next step is to sync up with the work being
> done on tuning the DBT-3 query workload? As I'm sure you're aware, that
> is very similar to TPC-H workload, where most of the commercial RDBMS
> vendors utilise Materialized Views to enhance certain queries.

Oh?  As far as I can tell, TPC-H forbids use of materialized views.
See sections 1.5.6 and 1.5.7 of the spec.  The effect of the fine print
seems to be that the only way you are allowed to store extra copies of
data is as indexes over columns that are primary keys, foreign keys,
or date columns.