Re: Proposal to remove some mailing lists - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Proposal to remove some mailing lists
Date
List pgsql-www

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 13:02 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thursday 03 July 2008 11:57:10 Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Except that General is an extremely active list and may cause those
> > subscribed to pgsql-php to unsubscribe. Topic specific lists are good.
> >
> > If we want to get rid of pgsql-php lets do it for something at least
> > directional, say pgsql-webdev a list dedicated to web developers using
> > PostgreSQL.
> >

> This presumes one only uses php for web development...

It does? I was assuming that we would have rails, drupal, catalyst
etc... all asked there.

> really it can be used
> for scripting and gui applications as well. Heck, I even heard of some
> company trying to use it for database procedural work.
>
> More on point, why would you seperate web developer questions from other
> questions? And how? Not being able to connect to postgres from a webserver is
> pretty much the same issue as not connecting from anything else. Or what
> about someone using dbd:pg from a script, vs. someone using it to write a
> cgi?
>
> *shrug*

How do I do X with ORM Y and why does PostgreSQL react with Z.

People on general may or may not care. People on wwwdev may.

> I'm subscribed to both, so it doesnt affect me much, but I don't see much
> benefit to having that list as it stands now (and the traffic is pretty low
> anyway)

I am not arguing that we should keep pgsql-php as much as the idea of
dumping people on to general which imo is abused way to much as it is.

Joshua D. Drake