Re: make --enable-depend the default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: make --enable-depend the default
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2013-08-05 17:59:39 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Yeah, I have alias dev-configure='./configure
>> --appropriate-stuff-for-this-machine' on every system where I work on
>> PG.  I imagine others do something similar.

> I have that on machines I work on regularly as well, but on others where
> I don't control everything...

Personally, I have a small tarball of shell scripts that I install in
~/bin on any machine where I'm asked to poke at PG problems.  One of them
is a frontend for configure that sets it up the way I like.

If the vote went against me on this point, I'd add --disable-depend to
that script and the problem would be solved so far as my personal wants
were concerned.  It remains though that such a default would be wasting
build cycles forevermore for a majority of non-developers.

Peter's point about the GCC-dependence of such a default seems pretty
killer from here, too.