Re: [WIP] patch - Collation at database level - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [WIP] patch - Collation at database level
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Andrew, Tom,
>> Agreed. Are we even sure that we want per-database collations as a
>> half-way house? Unless we can be sure that we want all the required
>> catalog changes for the full requirement, it seems to me a rather messy
>> way of getting to where we want to go.

> Given that we don't have a delivery date for table or column level collations,
> we don't want to turn down database-level collations.

I am one hundred percent prepared to turn them down, if they end up
contorting the design in a way that we will have to undo (with
consequent backwards-compatibility problems) to get to the full feature.

If it's a partial implementation of the full feature, that's fine, but
I'm not getting good vibes about that from the discussions so far.