Re: PostgreSQL derivatives - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 08:21 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 13:26 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Well PostgreSQL.Org is not a non profit organization
>
> That is news to me. Who gets the financial profits then? Why are we
> registering in various countries as a non-profit?

The current financial recipient of PostgreSQL.Org donations is Software
in the Public Interest (http://www.spi-inc.org/). The donations made to
PostgreSQL via that entity are earmarked for our (.Org) use. SPI takes
5% of the donation for this service. In return we get free legal, and
book keeping services (some other stuff as well but that is what we
use).

In the future it is likely that the amount of money going through SPI
will go down, mainly because there are two large non profits in the
middle of finishing up, PGEU and PGUS.

There are also other more directed non profits in existence, ITPUG has a
non profit, as does PostgreSQLFR. There are particular efforts are
obviously directly at Italy and France respectively.

Lastly, there are our Japanese friends, JPUG. They are also a non profit
(to my understanding). They focus all of their energy in Japan.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake