Re: How to Sponsor a Feature - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: How to Sponsor a Feature
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 19:27 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > Incidentally, we have minutes from the meeting.  Is it OK to publish
> > them openly?
>
> There's a set of minutes already up at
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2008_Developer_Meeting
>
> > There was no solution proposed to the escrow problem, nor to allow
> > sponsoring of one feature by multiple independent individuals.
>
> Pity, as those are the main things I get asked about.  I've been thinking
> about this a fair amount recently, and it is difficult to figure out how
> SPI can handle this in reasonable way.

SPI can't really at least not for indviduals. It could reasonably do so
under the auspice of paying for services, especially if those services
can explicitly be tied to the mission of SPI.

PGUS and PGEU are probably better suited for this in the future. PGUS
for example is going to have the ability to fundraise for grants. A
person could then apply for a grant. The grant could be for a TODO item.

In reality though, what should happen is we should have a list of
companies and consultants that are willing to be paid to implement
features, todos and bug fixes. When someone asks they go to a company
that they feel comfortable with.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake