Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 11:12 -0700, Robert Hodges wrote:
> This is clearly an important use case but it also seems clear that
> the WAL approach is not a general-purpose approach to replication.

I think we cannot make such a statement yet, if ever.

I would note that log-based replication is now the mainstay of
commercial database replication techniques for loosely-coupled groups of
servers. It would seem strange to assume that it should not be good for
us too, simply because we know it to be difficult.

IMHO the project has a pretty good track record of delivering
functionality that looked hard at first glance.