Re: SQL Function Slowness, 8.3.0 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: SQL Function Slowness, 8.3.0
Date
List pgsql-performance
> "Gavin M. Roy" <gmr@myyearbook.com> writes:
> > In 8.3.0, I'm seeing some oddities with SQL functions which I thought were
> > immune to the planner data restrictions of plpgsql functions and the sort.
>
> Without a specific example this discussion is pretty content-free, but
> in general SQL functions face the same hazards of bad parameterized
> plans as plpgsql functions do.

I think it would help if there was some way to prepare functions to
allow them to be posted and understood more easily. These would help:

* a name obfuscator, so people can post functions without revealing
inner workings of their company and potentially lose intellectual
property rights over code posted in that way

* a pretty printer, so we can better understand them when we see 'em

Without these, I think we need to realise that many people will never
post their SQL at all.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com