Re: Help specifying new machine - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Help specifying new machine
Date
List pgsql-performance
William Yu <wyu@talisys.com> writes:
> In terms of Postgres database performance, Opteron *may* be the better
> CPU for this app but there's not enough data points yet. Here's a recent
> review at Anandtech showing Opteron 150 (2.4ghz) versus 64-bit Prescott
> 3.6hgz with some very simple MySQL and Postgres benchmarks:

> http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2163&p=2

> What is a slight lead in MySQL becomes a blowout in Postgres.

This is really interesting.  We had previously seen some evidence that
the Xeon sucks at running Postgres, but I thought that the issues only
materialized with multiple CPUs (because what we were concerned about
was the cost of transferring cache lines across CPUs).  AFAICS this test
is using single CPUs.  Maybe there is more going on than we realized.

            regards, tom lane