Re: config files in /data - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: config files in /data
Date
Re: config files in /data  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
>> Right. How about `$PGDATA/internal'? Can't be more obvious. Perhaps with
>> that we could also have initdb clean up a little more respectfully.

> Are we talking about moveing pg_log and pg_shadow?  Maybe call it
> /global because the tables are global to all databases.

We weren't, but it seems like a good idea now that you mention it.
So it sounds like we are converging on:

$PGDATA itself contains only directly-editable config files

$PGDATA/base/ contains database subdirectories (same as now)

$PGDATA/global/ contains installation-wide tables (pg_database,pg_shadow, their indices, etc)

$PGDATA/internal/ contains anything else that is installation-widebut is not a table.

The distinction between /global and /internal is a little bit artificial
(which one does pg_log belong in?  It's only sort of a table...), so
maybe we'd be better off just putting those two together.  Don't have
a strong opinion either way.