Re: default client encoding in postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: default client encoding in postgresql.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Robert Treat wrote:
>>> This conversation is beginning to suggest to me that client_encoding
>>> shouldn't be listed in postgresql.conf at all.
>>
>> Yeah, that sure seems better than what we currently have.

> I should have thought there was a good argument for preventing its being
> set in postgresql.conf.

No, I can think of cases where someone might legitimately want to do
that, they're just pretty far out of mainstream usage.

We already have some variables that are GUC_NOT_IN_SAMPLE but not
GUC_DISALLOW_IN_FILE, so I don't see anything wrong with considering
client_encoding the same way.

(BTW, sometime we ought to get around to enforcing GUC_DISALLOW_IN_FILE...)