Re: Transaction Snapshot Cloning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Transaction Snapshot Cloning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > ... So if we did this via an installable module approach then we
> > would be able to use it much sooner for upgrading to 8.3, rather than
> > waiting for 8.4
>
> I think it borders on ludicrous to imagine making this work with just an
> installable module and no core-code changes.  So no, I refuse to spend
> any time helping to design an implementation for 8.3.

Refuse is a strong word, so apologies if I've offended.

I already know how to write it, the main question was how dangerous is
it and I think we answered that. Misuse seems to be the issue you seem
to be worried about. In the wrong hands it could prove to be a Foot Gun
with a larger than normal kill zone.

Dangerous enough that you actively want me to not write it? Or just
saying you're not sure it can be done?

> It'll be a hard enough problem to make this work for 8.4.

Agreed.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com