Re: Overblogging etc - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Subject Re: Overblogging etc
List pgsql-www
Hi,

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 11:18 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> I suggest we allow 1 blog per week per person

I disagree with that. We can't limit/restrict people -- If they feel
that they can write good articles/news every day, then they should. This
is the 4th year of Planet, and we have really cool articles since Planet
PostgreSQL was born.

> and that the blogs must be about something constructive, not just a
> one liner about getting out of the bath or other trivial subjects.

Agreed. That's why we encourage people to add a PostgreSQL specific
category to their blogs.

Another thing is : Even though I strongly agree with you on the "getting
out of the bath" subject, Planet PostgreSQL is not targeted to technical
articles only -- If one wants to share something with the PostgreSQL
community, which is not directly PostgreSQL related, they she/he is
welcome to do so, I think. I did that once when my baby was born. That
also could explain why I was unavailable at those times.

> Since we have only a few blog slots it's a shame when long useful
> blogs are replaced by trivial ones.

Please define trivial.

> In particular, Devrim's important info about a PostgreSQL RPM
> repository has been pushed off by 4 blogs from another community
> member.

That is an RSS issue -- I did not want to remove Bruce until it gets
fixed, because he is a very valuable community member and I'm happy to
see his blog at the Planet.

> I don't think we will be able to agree what constitutes trivial, but
> single sentence blogs should be banned.

No "banning", please. We can convince people to avoid posting such
blogs, but we cannot ban. It is all about freedom, IMHO.

> I wouldn't have a problem with the same subject expanded into a useful
> multi-paragraph blog, but single sentences give the appearance of
> triviality. If we don't set a minimum standard for blog content,
> people will stop reading them *all*.

Agreed.

Regards,
--