Re: Dynamic Partitioning using Segment Visibility Maps - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Csaba Nagy
Subject Re: Dynamic Partitioning using Segment Visibility Maps
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 13:59 +0100, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> However, for tables which don't fit the use case of SE, people certainly
> don't want such a fill factor to bloat their tables.

Sure, but it could be configurable and should only be enabled if the
table is marked as partitioned on some condition... I think it would be
a bad idea anyway if the DB would start partitioning on some arbitrary
criteria based on analyzing he table, so the DBA should be the one to
decide on what criteria to partition. In particular it could be a bad
idea on occasions to partition on the clustering criteria for tables
which were clustered once.

Cheers,
Csaba.