Re: [GENERAL] Slow PITR restore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Slow PITR restore
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Recovery is inherently one of the least-exercised parts of the system,
> and it gets more so with each robustness improvement we make elsewhere.
> Moreover, because it is fairly dumb, anything that does go wrong will
> likely result in silent data corruption that may not be noted until much
> later.  Any bugs we introduce into recovery will be very hard to find
> ... and timing-dependent ones will be damn near impossible.
>
> So in my mind the watchword has got to be KISS.  If that means that
> recovery isn't terribly speedy, so be it.   I'd far rather get the
> right answer slower.

Very much agreed, and really the real reason the main recovery code is
essentially untouched for so long. That thought was #1 priority when
writing PITR. Thanks for reminding me/us.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com