Re: Quality and Performance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Quality and Performance
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> However, I think everybody agrees that getting blindsided by unexpected
> performance dropoffs is a bad thing.  We really need to reinstitute
> the sort of daily (or near-daily) performance tracking that Mark Wong
> used to be doing, and extend it to cover a wider variety of test cases
> than just DBT-2.  As an example, I'll bet that this issue of operator
> lookup speed would never have been visible at all in DBT-2.

Yeh, we need multiple large benchmarks run on a regular basis.

My understanding is the community has two 8-core servers to run
benchmarks on, but I'd quite like to have some details on where these
are at. One is likely to be running RHEL, one Solaris.

We also need performance regression tests, which is a slightly different
thing even if they do sound similar.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com