Re: Can we please refuse mail to the list from list addresses? - Mailing list pgsql-www

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 16:35 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
> > In general, I'd say the postgresql.org mailservers shouldn't accept any
> > mail (unauthenticated) that's from an @postgresql.org address. But IIRC
> > someone was still relaying unauthenticated mail through there the last
> > time I proposed that :-)
>
> I'm not sure what you're saying here.  In your enhanced world, if I send
> an email from alvherre@postgresql.org to a pg list and relay it through
> a Command Prompt server, will it bounce?

Yes. Unless the commandprompt server is configured to use SMTP AUTH
(which in the case of cmd could be an exception, but it can't be the
rule of course)

And yes, I'm aware that quite a number of people won't like that, but
doing similar things cuts a *lot* of spam at other sites I manage.

Anyway. Cutting mail from the list address to the list address will also
help, and it's certainly a good thing to do if we can't "go all the
way".

//Magnus